The Restrict Access feature enables teachers to restrict the availability of any activity or even a course section according to certain conditions such as dates, grade obtained, group or activity completion. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of Access Restrictions, what activities and resources we can add Access Restriction to, the criteria based on which we can setup Access Restriction and finally the step-by-step instructions on how to set it up.
Benefits of Access Restriction
- It allows the instructor to tailor the course to specific students' needs, making it more flexible and responsive.
- It allows the instructor to manage visibility of certain content of the course based on groups, which is useful in situations where the participants of a course are divided into groups (such as different tutorials).
What Activities/Resources can you utilize Access Restriction with?
All Activities and Resources implemented within Moodle and eClass have a Restrict Access section in their settings, which allows the instructor to add Access Restrictions
What criteria can you setup Access Restriction based on?
Date - Prevent access until (or from) a specified date and time.
Grade - Require students to achieve a specified grade.
Group - Allow only students who belong to a specified group, or all groups.
User profile - Control access based on fields within the student's profile.
Restriction set - Add a set of nested restrictions to apply complex logic.
How to setup Access Restriction on an activity/resource (such as an assignment)
- Click the activity or resource on the course page, then click the Settings icon on the top menu bar of the activity/resource.
- Scroll down through the settings and click the Restrict Access section in order to expand it, as shown below:
- Click Add restriction... as shown below:
- Select the restrictions you are interested in.
- Lastly click Save and Display at the bottom of the page.