You can use Zoom from within eClass. There are two ways to use Zoom in eClass, either by using the Zoom meeting activity or using York's Zoom website to setup your meeting and adding the meeting link to your course.
You must have a York's Zoom Pro user before you can add a meeting to your course in eClass, otherwise you will get an error. You can create a York Zoom Pro account by going to York's Zoom website and sign in with PassPort York (PPY) credentials. After this, you will be able to add a Zoom meeting in eClass. If you get an error, contact UIT at email@example.com.
1. Enter your course in eClass and click the Turn editing on button.
2. Click on Add an activity or resource within the topic you want to add your Zoom meeting in.
3. Click Zoom Meeting from the available activities to open the configuration page.
4. Name your Meeting (Topic) and add an optional Description.
5. You can Schedule a one time non-recurring meeting by selecting the date, time and duration in the Schedule section or if this is a recurring meeting, select the checkbox next to it. If you setup a recurring meeting, you will not be required to enter date, time, or duration. Those fields will be disabled. Regardless of a recurring or non-recurring meeting you are creating, there will be only one link and one start button for the meeting.
6. Meeting password is enabled by default. To change the password, click the pencil icon. You can select to highlight the current password and press delete key on your keyboard. Enter a new password and press enter key. If you do not wish to use a password, you can delete the current password and leave the box empty. To view the password, click on the 'eye' on the right.
7. Audio/Video option allows you to select default audio/video settings for the host as well as participants.
You can also prevent students from downloading recorded meetings by selecting No for Allow students to download audio and video recordings option.
8. Meeting Options - Select the options that make sense for your meeting, please see the note below for additional information on recommended settings from Zoom.
If you haven't heard of zoom bombing, it's a trend where random people are crashing online zoom meetings. Have a read of this article for more details.
Zoom have released some recommended settings and suggestions on how to prevent this from happening such as setting some options ahead of time e.g enabling the waiting room in the meeting settings. They also make some great recommendations around meeting management once in the meeting.
Enable join before host - It allows participants to join before the host. If you do not select this option, your participants will see a dialog box that says "The meeting is waiting for the host to join.". If you are the host, and have not authenticated using PPY, there will be a login button for you to login and start the meeting as the host.
Mute participants upon entry - This option is enabled by default and mutes your participants microphone by default. Your participants can unmute at any time during the meeting, unless restricted using other security settings.
Enable waiting room - This allows you to control when a participant will join the meeting. Until such time, your participants are put in a waiting room outside the meeting. This feature is useful if you are setting up an office hour for one on one discussion with your student. You can admit your participants one by one or all at once, if you chose so.
Only authenticated users can join - It is highly recommended that you use this as an added security measure. There are two options to select from - Any Zoom account and Passport York. Use Passport York if your participants are York students, staff or instructors, otherwise use Any Zoom account.
Record the meeting automatically - This will allow you to record your meeting in the cloud or locally on your computer. Meetings recorded in the cloud can be accessed within the activity as well as at York's Zoom portal.
Alternative Hosts - If you wish to designate an alternate host or a co-host who can start the meeting in your absence, enter their York email address in this field.
The scheduled Zoom meetings will now appear in the section where it was added. Both you and your students can click on the Zoom activity to find the button (as well as other meeting details) to join the meeting.
Visit York's Zoom website for additional information about scheduling or starting your meeting.
1. Navigate to the York University Zoom page. https://yorku.zoom.us and press the Sign in button on the top right of the page.
2. Press the Schedule a New Meeting button and enter the appropriate information for the meeting.
3. Once the meeting is created, return into the meeting and copy the URL.
4. Log in to eClass, enter the course you would like to add the Zoom link to and Turn editing on.
5. In the appropriate topic/section click on Add an activity or resource
6. Select URL.
7. Enter a name for your URL activity. Paste the Zoom link you copied in the step 3 into the External URL field and Save.