How to access Course Settings
Click Edit Settings from the Action menu
Make your course available to students
Select Show from the Course visibility drop-down list. By default your course is not visible to students, allowing you the opportunity to work on your course before it is visible to students.
Course short name
The course short name is used as a prefix to the subject of forum e-mail notifications. You can edit this if you wish.
- Select your preferred course layout from the Format drop-down list. (See Setting up your Course layout to see all layout options).
- Select the appropriate option from the Hidden sectionsdrop-down list. The options affect how the sections on the main course page behave when set to hidden.
- Hidden sections are shown in collapsed form will display only the topic title or week date. Course resources and activities contained in the section will be hidden from view.
- Hidden sections are completely invisible will hide the section completely. These options affect the student view only. Instructors will see the hidden section.
- Select whether the entire course is displayed on one page or split over several pages (one topic section per page) by selecting the applicable option from the Course Layout drop-down list.
- Leave the Force language option to Do not force unless you prefer a language other than the default, English. Select an alternate language from the drop-down list as required.
- Select the preferred number of news items to display in the Latest News block (on the course home page) from the News items to show drop-down list.
- Leave the Show gradebook to students field as default (Yes) to display grades of activities to students.
- Leave the Show activity reports field as default (Yes) to allow students to view the listings of their contributions, such as forum posts or assignment submissions and activity logs. When enabled, the student will only see a report of his/her own activities.
Files and Uploads
If required, select an alternate file upload size from the Maximum upload size drop-down list. The default is 100MB, which is also the recommended file limit. Please see screenshot below for elaboration:
Activity modules also include a maximum upload size setting for further restricting the file size. This setting determines the largest size of a file that can be uploaded to the course.
You can upload a Course image by following the steps above under How to access Course Settings, then scroll down to Course image and upload an image, as shown in the screenshot below:
Select your preferred Completion tracking option form the drop-down list. Completion tracking allows resources and activities to be marked completed manually or when certain conditions have been met. Learn more about Completion Tracking
The Group mode set at the course level will be the default for all activities in your course. You might wish to set your groups up at an individual activity level instead. Otherwise select your preferred Group mode from the drop-down list.
- None: No groups are set.
- Separate: Groups members cannot see or access the work of students in other groups.
- Visible: Everyone’s work is viewable by all, but only members of each group can edit or add new data within their own group activities.
We recommend leaving Force group mode set to no. If set to yes, it will automatically apply the group mode selected for all course activities and resources, overriding the individual group settings.
Role Renaming allows you to change the way different kinds of users are labelled within the course. For example, you may prefer the term Teacher rather than the default name, Instructor or the term learner rather than the default, student. Changing a role name does not affect privileges or permissions.
To change one or more of the role names, type your preferred role name(s) in the appropriate text box(es).
Finally, make sure you click Save changes to apply any changes to your Course Settings!